This building stood on the site of Balsdon's shop at the turn of the century.

Miss M. Barfett is receiving the letter.

This grocers shop was owned in 1900 by Mr. C.C. Barfett

It was improved early in the century.

In 1921 it was purchased by Mr. A.F. Balsdon

He ran it until after the last war when it was taken over by his two sons, Garfield and Fred.

C.C. Barfett's shop in the 1910's

On the early death of Garfield his son, John, took over.

Fred took over and ran the agricultural feed section for some years before selling out to Crossfields

Fred, Iris and A.F. Balsdon outside their store in the late 1940's

They subsequently closed down the premises which are now used as stores by Wades furnishings and Wickett's garage.

[ Back to top ]